Good morning, team,
The following challenge is inspired by Jan Foster, sales manager at XPLANE, who often sends me words of wisdom that she reads along the way.
The excerpt below reveals the philosophy of Charles Schultz, creator of the “Peanuts” comic strip. You don’t have to actually answer the questions. Just read the e-mail straight through, and you’ll get the point.
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.
4. Name 10 people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
5. Name the last half-dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade’s worth of World Series winners.
How did you do?
The point is, none of us remembers the headliners of yesterday. And these people aren’t second-rate achievers: They are the best in their field. But applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here’s another quiz. See how you do on this one:
1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
The lesson: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care about you.
Your challenge this week is to let these people know how much you appreciate having them in your life. Try extending yourself to others so they know you care about them too. It doesn’t have to be with banner headlines: Just, in some small way, let them know you’re there to help if they need it.
Many thanks to Jan for sharing the Schultz philosophy. She’s not only been a great client, but has referred many wonderful clients to me over the years. I appreciate her insights and amazing networking abiliities!
Have a great week!
© Copyright 2008 Pathfinders Coaching, Scout Search, Inc., all rights reserved.